Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Tinker Boy


20x16" oil on canvas, email me for purchase information

On this date, twenty one years ago I was about to step on that E-ticket roller coaster ride called parenting. Yep, my sweet son, Zachary Michael James York, was born on this date all those long years ago. He was born an old soul and I dare say that, even though I read every parenting book I could get my hands on, he has been my teacher on this journey. This painting was sort of a frenzied effort; I felt somewhat possessed by the Tinker Toy idea. I didn't really set out to paint Zac (a true Tinker Toy virtuoso at three) but he's been on my mind the past few days. This will be the first time I haven't been with him on his birthday and I've been a weenie about it. It's bittersweet; I'm so proud of him in his third year at University of Arizona. He's independent and motivated. Involved in his world, caring about his friends and unbelievably funny. Really funny. And he's a cancer survivor. So, against all the odds he's living his life. As he should be. Happy Birthday my Zac. I promise you a buttermilk chocolate cake with peanut butter frosting when you come home!

No comments: