Monday, September 20, 2010

Bright Idea

4x4" oil on canvas, sold

I have sketchbooks of bright ideas...and some not so bright. Most of them I'm not sure if they are bright or just mediocre until I get them onto the canvas and throw some paint at them. But if I didn't have a place to park these raw nuggets most of them would never find their way into paint because, I swear, there is a big black hole that sucks all my good ideas out and spits them in the ocean. Sketchbook = valet parking for all ideas, bright and questionable. Love my Moleskin sketchbooks!






9 comments:

Roxanne Steed said...

I LOVE seeing other artists sketchbooks! (it's like a glimpse into a private conversation!). Very cool! Thanks for letting us eaves-drop!

Caroline Peña Bray said...

I agree, it's great to get a peek into an artist's thoughts! And this is a reminder to me that I should perhaps spend more time sketching, I AM the laziest artist ever. I don't have the patience for planning or jotting down ideas, I just hit the canvas and see what happens. Often it's not the best of methods! I think I'll take a leaf from your sketchbook in the future...

Always a joy to pop by.

Helen Read said...

I love seeing other artists sketchbooks too! Thanks for sharing them!

Brenda York said...

Me too! I love seeing other artists sketchbooks. Maybe we should start a website just for sketchbook art! It definitely feels a little like your slip is showing, however...

Don Coker said...

Very cool sketches, Brenda. A nice peek at the makings of your work.

Brenda York said...

Thanks, Don! I really love seeing other artist's sketchbooks--I think we should all post them more often. It's like sharing your deep, dark secrets... :>0 (Yikes!)

Roxanne Steed said...

hmm, perhaps a "tag-team-blog-sharing" of sketch-books is in order! http://roxannesteed.blogspot.com/2010/09/planting-ideas-in-fertile-soil-thoughts.html

Brenda York said...

I like this idea, Roxanne. Thanks for the link on your blog and I loved seeing your sketchbooks, too!

Sandy Graeser Haynes said...

love, love, love seeing these.... Secret stuff, and we enjoy the fact that you want to share... thanks -Sandy Haynes