Tuesday, September 30, 2008

A Bird In The Hand


10x8" oil on canvas, SOLD

I get asked a lot what birds represent in my paintings. They show up often in my work along with other bits of symbolism; crowns, tic tac toe games, crescent moons, robots, etc. Most of the time they aren’t as obvious as this bluebird. The symbols and “graffiti” are scratched into the background paint after the figure is finished. I think of the graffiti elements almost like journaling about the process of creating the painting. It’s never planned. It’s more about what occurs during the painting of the painting…whew! I especially like to include lyrics of the music I’m listening to while I’m working. So…the bird. Well, he’s all about that little voice in your head that you just don’t pay attention to. But wish you did.

No comments: